Friday Nov. 28, 2003
The workshop on concepts consists of three parts
14.00 - 16.30 hrs
Discussion on "Concepts of a European Public Sphere" with experts
- Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Hartmut Kaelble, Humboldt-Universität
- Prof. Dr. Hans J. Kleinsteuber, Universität Hamburg
- Prof. Dr. Bernhard Peters, Universität Bremen
- Prof. Colin Sparks Ph.D., University of Westminster
- Which are the normative and theoretical presuppositions that we assume?
- How can we define a European public sphere?
- How can we operationalise these concepts?
16.30 - 17.00 hrs
17.00 - 19.00 hrs
Participants' workshop on concepts (6 working groups)
On the basis of each participant's "statement" the participants' own concepts and definitions of the European public sphere shall be discussed in groups of 5 to 7 participants. The statement should be based on a one-page paper that has been prepared in advance. The goal is to be able to discuss and compare the different definitions of the European public sphere guiding our research. We suggest to state in bullet points the central aspects of
- the normative and theoretical presuppositions
- the definition
- attempts at operationalisation.
19.00 - 20.00 hrs
20.00 - 21.00 hrs
Plenary session: Which concepts of the European public sphere are out there?
Summary of the results of the workshop on concepts: The results will be presented to the other groups in this plenary session. The experts' comments are most welcome.
Downloadable: Workshop forms
Find below the workshop form with the guiding questions for the workshop and all the participants' contributions for your preparation